Monster largemouth bass
Plashes pond Yarmouth, Massachusetts
Best pond on Cape Cod:This small 8 ft deep cranberry bog pond gets no pressure and is nearly inaccessible and hard to fish but it is loaded with some really gigantic bass. I have caught numerous 7 to 8 pound fish and seen a young kid pull out a hog that tipped the scales at a whopping 13.4 pounds. Their are only a couple spots to fish from shore so a canoe is a must. But be very careful out there because the water is loaded with submerged trees and believe me you do not want to fall in this place. Their is access and parking to the bog on Buck Island rd.. Its a decent walk with a canoe but its worth it to fish this pond believe me. I normally would never say anything about such an amazing pond but I would love to see my favorite little pond in the record books. Author:Jonathon Taylor for Fishing Fever1.com
|Big bass fishing on the cape|
Smallmouth Bass pre-spawn habits.
Pre-spawn depending on where you are starts after the first stretch of warm weather and lasts till the water temp gets up into the 50's. Everyone loves catching these little powerhouses and in early spring it can be be a blast because they are usually a little more active then their bigger cousins. Start looking for them on deep structures 20 ft or more like rock piles, gravel or mud flats. They will stage in these areas until the water is in the mid-50s then move up onto 8-20 ft deep flats to spawn.&
- Smallmouth bass love crayfish so small jigs are always my go too bait. I have the best success with blue/black jigs with a pork rind or small soft plastic crawdad trailer the vombo and color sticks out in deep water and have just the right amount of contrast to trigger strikes. Fall rate of the jig is very important, you want it to be kinda slow so pick a trailer carefully. Most fish will bite on the fall so if your jig is rocketing to the bottom you are going to miss out on a lot of bites. Try too target points, break lines or rock piles near potential spawning areas.
- Shaky heads topped with a power craw or a chomper will drive smallmouths and Largemouths crazy so never leave home without them.
- Hair jigs work too but I almost never use them. People swear by them but I only tie one on when in fishing for striped bass.
- Jerkbaits, crankbaits and soft plastics work well too just remember to keep it slow the fish are sluggish this time of year.
How safe are you and your family against The Zika virus
What is Zika virus:
In May 2015, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) issued an alert regarding the first confirmed Zika virus infection in Brazil. On February 1, 2016, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared Zika virus a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). Local transmission has been reported in many other countries and territories. Zika virus will likely continue to spread to new areas.
Through mosquito bites
Zika virus is transmitted to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito (A. aegypti and A. albopictus). These are the same mosquitoes that spread dengue and chikungunya viruses.
- These mosquitoes typically lay eggs in and near standing water in things like buckets, bowls, animal dishes, flower pots and vases. They prefer to bite people, and live indoors and outdoors near people.
- Mosquitoes that spread chikungunya, dengue, and Zika are aggressive daytime biters. They can also bite at night.
- Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on a person already infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites.
From mother to child
A pregnant woman can pass Zika virus to her fetus during pregnancy. Zika is a cause of microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects, and we are studying the full range of other potential health problems that Zika virus infection during pregnancy may cause.
- A pregnant woman already infected with Zika virus near the time of delivery can pass on the virus to her newborn around the time of birth.
- To date, there are no reports of infants getting Zika virus through breastfeeding. Because of the benefits of breastfeeding, mothers are encouraged to breastfeed even in areas where Zika virus is found.
Through sexual contact
- Zika virus can be spread by a man to his sex partners.
- In known cases of sexual transmission, the men developed Zika virus symptoms. From these cases, we know the virus can be spread when the man has symptoms, before symptoms start and after symptoms resolve.
- In one case, the virus was spread a few days before symptoms developed.
- The virus is present in semen longer than in blood.
Through blood transfusion
- As of February, 1, 2016, there have not been any confirmed blood transfusion transmission cases in the United States.
- There have been multiple reports of blood transfusion transmission cases in Brazil. These reports are currently being investigated.
- During the French Polynesian outbreak, 2.8% of blood donors tested positive for Zika and in previous outbreaks, the virus has been found in blood
Be proactive and protect yourself and your family this year from mosquitos and the Zika virus.What will you do to ensure your family is safe this summer????
Spring hot spots for big Largemouth bass.
Fish like a basspro this spring
Bass fishing this time of year can be slow but if you know where to look and know a little about bass behavior it can be some of the best all year. Rip rap around bridges and shorelines can be really productive for a few reasons.Rip Rap
|Big spring bass love rip rap|
- Bridges are sometimes built right over underwater creeks that bass use as migration routes.
- The rocks themselves will absorb heat from the spring sun and provide a more comfortable place for fish to hang out.
- The rip rap itself is an ideal place for crayfish and small bait fish to live so bass don`t have to expend to much energy looking for food.
- Try casting a suspending jerk bait parallel to the structure and retrieve with a slow pause twitch retrieve it drives bass crazy.
During pre-spawn the smaller male bass will start cruising around in relatively shallow waters near creek mouths while the bigger female bass will stay out of sight in the slightly deeper waters of the bay or cove.
- Pick a crankbait with a tight wobble(It drives bass nuts)
- Cast it over the creek channel and real it in at a normal speed but always try and make bottom contact.
Must have tackle for early spring Bass!
By: Jonathon Taylor
for: Fishing Fever.com
4/2/16, 5:22 PM
Spring is finally here and I don't know about you but that means big bass for me and I have a few go-to baits I love.The Smithwick suspending rattling rouge is one of them and is in my eyes the best jerk bait for this time of year. Others like the Husky jerk by Rapala work great too but for late winter early spring the Rouge is #1.
With the water temps in the 30-40 degree range bass are pretty sluggish but will not pass up an easy meal so slow realistic presentations are a must now. Around my area most lakes are pretty shallow usually in the 10-20 ft deep range so I always try and find deeper structure that is relatively close to major spawning areas. Jerk baits over deep weed beds and humps can be a killer tactic now but remember slow,slow,slow. I will give the rod a slight sweeping motion then let the bait suspend over structure for 3-4 seconds at least. Give the bait a slight twitch at the end of the pause to trigger more strikes. Just be patient and you can catch some serious bass this time of year.
Jigs catch bass !I love jigs and I use them all year in every possible
scenario cause they catch more quality fish. Soon
Thanks for reading